This Notice of Privacy Practices describes how we may use and disclose your protected health information to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law. It also describes your rights to access and control your protected health information. “Protected health information” is information about you, including demographic information, that may identify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition and related health care services.
Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information
Your protected health information may be used and disclosed by Dr. Nabil Fakih and our office staff that are involved in your care and treatment for the purpose of providing health care services to you, to pay your health care bills, to support the operation of the doctor’s practice, and any other use required by law.
• Treatment: We will use and disclose your protected health information to provide, coordinate, or manage your health care and any related services. This includes the coordination or management of your health care with a third party. For example, your protected health information may be provided to a doctor to whom you have been referred to ensure that the doctor has the necessary information to diagnose or treat you.
• Payment: Your protected health information will be used, as needed, to obtain payment for your health care services. For example, obtaining approval for a surgery may require that your relevant protected health information be disclosed to the health plan to obtain approval for payment of the surgery.
• Healthcare Operations: We may use or disclose, as-needed, your protected health information in order to support the business activities of your doctor’s practice. These activities include, but are not limited to, quality assessment activities, employee review activities, training of medical students, licensing, and conducting or arranging for other business activities. For example, we may disclose your protected health information to medical school students that see patients in our office.
We may use a sign-in sheet at the registration desk where you will be asked to sign your name. We may also call you by name in the waiting room when your doctor is ready to see you. We may use or disclose your protected health information, as necessary, to contact you to remind you of your appointment.
We may use or disclose your protected health information in the following situations without your authorization. These situations include: as required by ocal law; public health issues as required by law; to avert a serious threat to health or safety; emergency situations; Food and Drug Administration requirements; legal proceedings; law enforcement; if you are an organ donor, for organ or tissue donation; Workers’ Compensation; for coroners, medical examiners, and funeral directors; and information about inmates can be released to law enforcement officials or correctional institutions with custody.
Other permitted and required uses and disclosures will be made only with your consent, authorization or opportunity to object unless required by law.
You may revoke this authorization, at any time, in writing, except to the extent that your doctor practice has taken an action in reliance on the use or disclosure indicated in the authorization.
• You have the right to inspect and copy your protected health information. Under law, however, you may not inspect or copy the following records: psychotherapy notes; information compiled in reasonable anticipation of, or use in, a civil, criminal, or administrative action or proceeding; and protected health information that is subject to law that prohibits access to protected health information.
• You have the right to request a restriction of your protected health information. This means you may ask us not to use or disclose any part of your protected health information for the purposes of treatment, payment or healthcare operations. You may also request that any part of your protected health information not be disclosed to family members or friends who may be involved in your care or for notification purposes as described in this Notice of Privacy Practices. Your request must state the specific restriction requested and to whom you want the restriction to apply.
• Your doctor is not required to agree to a restriction that you may request. If the doctor believes it is in your best interest to permit use and disclosure of your protected health information, your protected health information will not be restricted. You then have the right to use another Healthcare Professional.
• You have the right to request to receive confidential communications from us by alternative means or at an alternative location. You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this notice from us, upon request, even if you have agreed to accept this notice alternatively i.e., electronically.
• You may have the right to have your doctor amend your protected health information. If we deny your request for amendment, you have the right to file a statement of disagreement with us and we may prepare a rebuttal to your statement and will provide you with a copy of any such rebuttal.
• You have the right to receive an accounting of certain disclosures we have made, if any, of your protected health information.
• We reserve the right to change the terms of this notice and will inform you by mail of any changes. You then have the right to object or withdraw as provided in this notice.
You may complain to us if you believe your privacy rights have been violated by us. You may file a complaint with us by notifying our privacy contact of your complaint. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint. We are required by law to maintain the privacy of, and provide individuals with, this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to protected health information. If you have any objections to this form, please ask to speak with Dr. Nabil Fakih in person or by phone at our Main Phone Number.
Personal web identification information
We may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our site, register on the site, subscribe to the newsletter, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our website. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, phone number. Users may, however, visit our website anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personally identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website related activities.
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google. Google utilizes the data collected to track and examine the use of drnabilfakih.com, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Non-personal web identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our website. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users means of connection to our website, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Web browser cookies
How we use collected information
Dr. Nabil Fakih may collect and use Users personal information for the following purposes:
• To improve customer service
Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
• To personalize user experience
We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our Site.
• To improve our website
We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
• To send periodic emails
We may use the email address to send User information and updates pertaining to their order. It may also be used to respond to their inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc. If at any time the User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, they may do so by contacting us via our website.
How we protect your web information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our website.
Sharing your personal web information
We do not sell, trade, or rent Users personal identification information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.We may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the Site or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes provided that you have given us your permission.
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this website, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use our website. Your continued use of the website following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
Dr. Nabil Fakih
This document was last updated on 15 October2015.